Friday, June 3, 2011

Our Daily Bread

One of my new year's resolutions this year has been to make our own bread. I'm not a fan of preservatives, and I'm all about the savings of the homemade loaf compared to what local stores have to offer, especially the kind of bread I gravitate toward. I do so love a good 7-grain! That being said, I'm still working toward making our own bread 100%- this is definitely the kind of goal that takes organization and planning, and I'm getting a handle on that slowly but surely.

Anyway, in the process I've discovered some killer recipes that my family just LOVES so of course I have to share. Having the husband approve of homemade bread is a big deal since he is quite the connoisseur (read: picky), and tends to pick a soft, fluffy store-bought loaf of white bread over anything I have made in the past. However, this white bread recipe from The Blue Bible has won his heart and I have to admit I'm beaming with pride that I finally nailed one he loves better then Granny Sycamore's.

I do still have a few issues though. I'm not a newbie, but i'm still trying to work out a few kinks in the rising of this loaf. When the dough looks perfectly proofed and domed in the loaf pans I get so excited, but each time I open the oven only to find the finished product deflated and somewhat flat across the top. They still slice beautifully and taste delicious, but I want to figure out what's going on there. Hmm. Anyway, if any of you reading this can help me troubleshoot I would LOVE the extra insight and help. That being said, on to the recipe!


Perfect White Sandwich Bread
(or toast, or warm with butter and jam, . . . you get the idea!)
adapted from Land o' Lakes Treasury of Country Recipes

Yields 2 loaves

2 c. milk (I use reconstituted powdered milk-- 2/3 c. pwd. milk + 1 1/2 c. warm water)
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1/4 c. warm water
5-6 c. all-purpose flour
2 Tbs. sugar
2 tsp salt


In a large bowl dissolve yeast in 1/4 c. warm water with 1 Tbs. of the sugar. Add milk, sugar, salt, and half of the all-purpose flour. Mix, scraping bowl often, until smooth and elastic. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough that is easy to handle. Be careful not to knead too much into it though, or your bread will be too dry when baked.

Turn dough out onto lightly-floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, kneading at least 5 minutes after last addition of flour. Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up, cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1-1 1/2 hours. Dough is ready when an indentation remains when touched.

Gently punch down dough; divide and shape into loaves and place in greased loaf pans. Cover, let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Heat oven to 400 F. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and loaves sound hollow on bottom when thumped. Remove from pans immediately. If desired, brush tops with butter.


No comments:

Post a Comment