Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Crockpot Steelcut Oats

I love oatmeal. Seriously love it. Which is kindof miraculous considering my entire childhood of breakfasts consisted of a revolving variety of Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, and a cereal that I love but makes my siblings cringe, called Zoom.

Anyway, back to the oatmeal. I'm a huge fan of crockpot recipes, and this one is awesome- put it together the night before and breakfast is waiting for you when you wake up- warm, yummy, comfort-in-cold-weather food that's oh-so good for you. And all those antioxidants. . . hey, I may look like I'm 18 now, but when I hit 40 in a few years-- oh the looks of envy that will turn my way!


Crockpot Steel Cut Oats

4 c. water
1 1/2 c. apple juice
1 c. steel cut oats
1/2 c. barley (not quick)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. coarsely chopped pecans, walnuts, or almonds
2 medium apples, coarsely chopped

In a crockpot combine water, juice, oats, barley, spices, and salt. Cover, and cook on low 6-7 hours. About 20 minutes before serving, stir in sugar, nuts, and apples. Serve with honey and milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment